Opposition Lib Dem councillors are set to denounce the elected Police Commissioner, Matthew Grove, over the failings of Humberside Police.
At a meeting of councillors next week they will raise concerns about a recent report by Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabularies (HMIC) that found:
- Humberside Police has a lower than average number of frontline police when compared to other forces.
- Humberside Police is’ not prepared to face its future financial challenges.’
- ·Humberside Police has a ‘limited understanding of the demand for its services and is not able currently to match resources to demand.’
- The new operating model, overseen by the Police and Crime Commissioner, has resulted in a ‘systemic failure to provide a quality and timely service to the public.’
- Councillor Claire Thomas said: “The Police and Crime Commissioner has a lot of questions to answer about the performance of Humberside Police.
- “For some time we have been concerned about frontline policing in Hull. The HMIC report showed those concerns were well founded.
"There are many committed and hard working police officers and civilian staff providing an invaluable service, but they are being let down by the way the force is being managed by the Police and Crime Commissioner and those at the top.”
The Lib Dems have also launched a petition calling for more resources to be put into frontline policing:www.libdemsinhullandhessle.org.uk/frontline_police