Roadworks will soon be starting on the stretch of Spring Bank West near the railway bridge.
Local Liberal Democrat councillors are concerned that the road repairs should not bring the same delays to drivers, commuters and businesses as roadworks did last year.
Councillor Claire Thomas said: “I'm pleased that road repairs are being carried out, but it is important that disruption is kept to a minimum on this important road, and that the Council communicates with local residents who will be affected by the works.”
Councillor Karen Woods commented: “Last years roadworks on the same stretch of road were a fiasco, businesses lost trade and road users faced nightmare delays – that simply can’t happen again.”
“We will of course be keeping a close eye on the situation and keep up the pressure to ensure that the work is completed as quickly as possible,” added Karen.
Council officers have informed councillors that the work is expected to start on Monday 18thAugust beneath the railway bridge, between Luton Road/Woodgate Road and Pulman Street.
The work being undertaken will include reconstruction and resurfacing of the carriageway, and kerbs and channels will be repaired.
Council Officers have said that from 1stSeptember a full road closure will be in place for five nights, between the hours of 19:00 and 05:30. Diversion routes along Calvert Lane, Anlaby Road, Walton Street will be in place.